Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New Hampshire House passes marriage bill

Hours after Maine Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill that will allow same-sex couples to marry in the Pine Tree State, the New Hampshire House of Representatives approved a measure that would allow nuptials for gays and lesbians in the Granite State.

The House voted 178-167 to approve an amended bill the state Senate approved last week. It remains unclear as to whether Gov. John Lynch will back House Bill 436. He can either sign it, veto the bill or allow it to become law without his signature.

The New Hampshire Freedom to Marry Coalition has produced an ad that urges Lynch to sign HB 436. The governor, who has repeatedly said he feels marriage should remain between a man and a woman, has five days to make a decision.

Today is certainly an exciting day for my home state. I've stated on numerous occasions I never thought I would see the day Concord lawmakers would back legislation that would allow same-sex couples to marry in the state. New Hampshire continues to make significant progress to shed its arguably unfair reputation, and this native Granite Stater is certainly grateful.

And on a final note, I would like to acknowledge my mother in Manchester for calling me earlier this afternoon to let me know HB 436 passed. Thanks Mom!

No comments: